Thursday, July 23, 2009

Remembering pioneers


This week we are thinking about our pioneer heritage as we prepare to celebrate Pioneer day on the 24th. When I was growing up, my parents would take us to an old pioneer cemetery as part of our celebration. There weren't any headstones and it was largely over grown with weeds. Recently, my mom was asked to be be the chairman of the committee to restore the old cemetery. Earlier this week we had the opportunity to attend it's re dedication. It was a sacred event; it was humbling to listen to the stories of these courageous settlers. Many of those little headstones marked the graves of children buried by their broken hearted parents. My mom gave a moving talk, and my dad offered a beautiful dedication prayer. To read my mom's talk and find out more about this project, visit her blog here.

I hope that I can continue to bring my children here so they can feel the courage and faith of their ancestors. (Caleb stayed home with a nurse because it was too warm for him)

The view from the bluff...

2 comments:

Becky said...

I really, really think your mom needs to write a book. Their stories need to be heard. What an incredible opportunity that you were able to be a part of. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Tanya said...

What an amazing experience! I'd like to know where the cemetary is so that I can share it with my children. Love you!