I love my boys all the way to infinity and beyond! I do, I really do. But I'll tell you what, sometimes it's a lot of work. It's a lot of work to teach them the gospel, to teach them to be responsible, to teach them manners, and to teach them to be studious. However, I never thought it could be hard to teach them to HAVE FUN. One of my boys is sometimes an over-thinker, a slow to adjust-er, and a worry wart at heart. Sometimes the other boys pick up on his hesitancy. This can be a challenge for a mom who is an up for anything- sure I'll try it sort of gal. For example, when we went to a water park earlier this summer, this son had to debate all during dinner whether or not he'd get wet, but once he did, he had the time of his life! He went on way scarier slides than I ever would ever have expected! He can't wait to go back!
This weekend, another one of my boys about had a heart attack when he saw the trailer being pulled around my parents field without him in it. "Just run out there and wave to grandpa, and he'll pick you up!" I say. But instead of running he had an episode of P.A.N.I.C. You know- the I don't know where to run, I don't know what to do, so I'll just stand here and have a melt down sort of moment. I was trying to reason with him and give him choices... then my brother ran over, scooped him up, and ran with him kicking and screaming to the trailer and dumped him in. This little boy of mine spent the first few minutes trying not to smile, then he finally gave in. When the ride was over, he was the one begging for more.
"I never knew it would be so so much work to get them to HAVE FUN." I told my mom.
As I've been thinking about this the past few days, I've wondered how many times Heavenly Father must shake his head and wonder about the very same question. He provides us with so many opportunities to have joy in this life, but I'll bet all too often we panic, we don't know where to run or what to do, and we get stuck in a melt down. I'm thankful that sometimes He scoops us up and plops us in places where we can experience joy- even when we might go kicking and screaming. Then, when we can get over our pride, and look around and smile, the real fun begins!
12 comments:
I love all your recent posts. You guys have had so much fun lately. I'm so glad I got to see you in the middle of it all. Your boys look so handsome in their school clothes. I know they'll have a great year. I love you!
Thank you for that thought! So insightful.
LOVE this post! Such great insight. I know that I've had my share of "scoops" and "plops" in my life, and how grateful I am. Men are that they might have JOY! LOVE YOU!
April I love your thoughts...you have a great gift to look at life in a very enlightening way. THANK YOU!
I LOVE THIS POST! April I think God chose you to be the mother of those boys because you know how to feel joy better than any one I know. You came into this world smiling and laughing and you've brought happiness into the lives of everyone you know all your days. Some day you'll watch you children trying to teach their children to have fun and you'll laugh some more.
such a sweet post! sometimes don't you wish kids could see life through adult's eyes and see that it is going to be o.k. and to just enjoy life, gosh, i wish i could go back and be a kid again and not worry so much myself!!
April, what wonderful insight! You have a delightful sense of humor and an amazing ability to look at the bright side of life! Thank goodness for scoops and plops!!
I hope that goes in the book you are writing...or should be writing! You really know how to say things so beautifully! Thanks!
Very well written April! Something to think about. Thanks for the HELLO through Evelyn and Jim.
This is said so well! I really needed to read that for a quick boost!
Thanks April!!
Thanks so much for sharing! That was just what I needed to hear.
I love that your blog gives me glimpses into your heart. I love the way you see the world and the way you share it with others. I heart you.
Post a Comment