Saturday, July 11, 2009

Music to my ears


Yesterday my Mom called to see if we wanted tickets to see the symphony at an outdoor amphitheater. I love the symphony! There were even enough tickets for us to bring the boys! I called my husband at work to tell him the good news! Our conversation went something like this:

Dallan: We're going where?
Me: The Symphony! Isn't that awesome?!
Dallan: I might have taken you to the symphony when we were dating to impress you, but now?.....
Me: Oh come on, don't you think it's amazing to see all of the instruments create an amazing soundtrack?
Dallan: Yeah, only there's no movie to go with it!
Me: It's a great opportunity to expose the boys to more music. We'll have fun!
Dallan: Do you know our boys... do you know how they are going to act?...

We kidded back and forth, and we really were glad for the chance to do something out of the ordinary with our boys. We packed up our blankets and prepared for Friday night adventure.

After an hour of traffic and a hefty walk to the performance, we finally made it! The gardens were breathtaking. My boys loved the surroundings and even listened a little. Though we did have our fair share of reminders:

* No Josh we are definitely not buying a six dollar hamburger no matter how many times you ask.
* Matthew if you keep throwing smarties at other people, then it will be obvious we snuck in candy.
* No Matthew, you can't throw them in the pond either.
* Use your inside voices so other people can hear (confusing I know since we were outside...)

Over all, they did better than we thought they would, but when my patience started wearing thin, we left a bit early to get a jump on the traffic.
During our hefty walk back to the car, my passionate 7 year old was begging for us to take the 2 year old out of the stroller so he could ride because his legs were going to fall off. By the time we got to the car he was having a major melt down that continued in high volume once we got to the car. After listening to his discord for 30 minutes while waiting in a never ending line of other "get a jump on traffic-ers," my ears were tired. My response went something like this:

Me: If you are having a medical emergency, then there are plenty of hospitals on the way home. If you really think you are about to die, then we will pull over and take you into the Emergency Room. There they can numb your legs by giving you a big shot in your spine. If that's what you need, then watch for the hospital signs on the roadside, and we'll pull over. Do you think that will help you?
Is that what you need?
Mr. Passion: no
Me: Okay then. For the rest of the ride home I'll be listening to how loud you are back there, and that will show me whether or not we have an emergency..."
Mr. Passion: Silence.
Now that was music to my ears.

I guess sometimes it's easy to react with a bit of passion when you're tired. Sheesh. I wonder where he gets that from ? :)



My Josh


The beautiful surroundings

6 comments:

Joy said...

I loved the way you handled it! Very clever and creative...I must try that one sometime!

arianne said...

I love how I always have these ideas for "enriching" activities with my kids. What's going on in their heads is always something completely different. Thanks for sharing this funny story.

Janene Baadsgaard said...

I still can't believe you made it through all that back-up traffic getting to the concert and going home. We waited on the grass by the stage for traffic to clear out for almost an hour, and we STILL saw you just leaving the parking lot. On the way home to drop Aden and Amy off at your house I ran a red light and didn't even notice until my teenager calmly said, "Mom,did you realize you just ran a red light back there?"
Then my twelve year old asked me if I better let my teenager drive us hom. You go from you putting up with your kids - to your kids putting up with you. AHHHH!!!!
That was quite the night to remember or maybe we better forget!

Christensen family said...

What a classic story. I love your comeback in a 'stressful' moment. Way to be creative and fun!

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow, I didn't think your patience could EVER run thin. I LOVE the conversation on the phone with Dallan. I could completely relate to this entire post!

Alanna said...

That was so funny! I love your phone conversation with Dallan...I can totally imagine the whole "I MIGHT have done that while dating to impress you but...". Too funny!